Rotary Car Club

Rotary Car Club (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/index.php)
-   RX-8 (2004 - Present) (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   RX8 burning oil like crazy (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/showthread.php?t=5635)

kyleandmariam 12-09-2008 09:28 PM

RX8 burning oil like crazy

My girlfriend just bought a 2004 rx8 with alot of miles on it a couple of months ago. Since then she has had nothing but trouble.

The latest issue is the fact that this car is burning more oil then my mothers old 84 dodge caravan. I was reading somewhere that mazda realized this is a problem and were replacing the engines? Is this still something that is going on? Once again, she bought it used, and I have no idea if it has had the engine replaced before. I noticed that it does not seem to be running at full power? I have read somewhere that you can have leaky seals? She also just informed me tonight that it was leaking something onto her garage floor. Usually these things are nice to know ahead of time, but what can I expect.

I am new to the mazda rotary scene, I am actually an ex-honda guy so I know the best information you can get is from these types of forums. Any other information

Amoung other things, the cd player does not work, and the heated seat on the drivers side does not work either.

I personally would have not bought the car, I would have tried to get something newer, but she went for the price. I just hope she is not getting what she paid for.

Thanks

Phoenix7 12-09-2008 10:07 PM

Mileage?
is it bone stock?

could be a bad oil cooler line...get under the hood and find the leak ASAP though, oil starvation = rotary death.

Does it smoke?

Get us some more info on the car and we can help you out.

You're going to find this link helpful:
http://foxed.ca/foxed/index.php?page=rx7manual#rx8

kyleandmariam 12-09-2008 10:35 PM

does it smoke

Yes it does smoke.

Most of the time it smokes upon initial start up, and when you first step on the gas. Once it is at cruising speed, or even idle it does not smoke.

kyleandmariam 12-09-2008 10:37 PM

Sorry, the car has about 130000 kilometers. (less then 100000 miles)

Bone stock, GT version with an automatic trans.

sumdeus 12-09-2008 10:43 PM

How much oil are you going through? 1qt every 1000 miles, 500, 5?

I would agree with Phoenix, find the leak ASAP.

Phoenix7 12-09-2008 10:57 PM

your oil seals might be going also, I checked out the link I gave you and, even though it's set up differently than the FC manual, it shows how to replace the rear oil seals......

find out about the external leaks and add fresh oil until you find the problem. The sooner the better, carry oil with you...2 quarts Minimum.

Also, that's worse case scenario....it could be old spark plugs(fouled?), or needs an oil change?

What maintenance has been done so far?

kyleandmariam 12-09-2008 11:41 PM

Unfortunately there is no history of the maintenance. I was driving the car on the weekend and we were out of town when the oil light came on. I immediately drove it to a mechanic to get changed. So far that is the only maintainence we have record of. I am hoping to God that the previous owner did some sort of maintainence on the car. I was thinking that it was time for the plugs to be replaced anyways.

As far as how much oil is it burning? I have no idea. She has only had the car for a few months, and we just did the first oil change. At least now I can monitor it.

On a side note, I noticed when she bought the car that I could see right through the front bumper to the oil cooler? should there not be some sort of cover in the front grill that protects the oil cooler?

I had my GF check the floor of her garage, and she said that there is something near the drivers side that looks like oil. I had her put some cardboard under the car for the evening, so I can go check it tommorow.

I am hoping that it is just an oil cooler line, or maybe even the oil cooler itself, because replacing the engine would really not been a good option right now.

I am thinking that whoever had the car previously replaced the front bumper. because it does not have the front lip like most GT versions have.

The more I research and read, the more I am worried that I am about to open a can of worms with this car.

kyleandmariam 12-09-2008 11:48 PM

when I say "can of worms" I am not referring to RX8s in general, I am refering to the previous owner, and the state of the car right now. I actually love this car, and might even look at getting a new one in a year.

Kane 12-10-2008 01:36 AM

04 Automatic = Bad News....they have the worst history of reliability

1) Get a compression test; and or find out if the motor has been replaced (call a Dealer with the VIN).
2) Seafoam the motor - ASAP; or get the dealer to do the foam cleaner. These motor's if babied build carbon ad it will kill the motor.
3) Coils - go get 4 new ones. Along with plugs.
4) The motor is designed to burn oil for lubrication; so it should eat up to a quart or more in between oil changes; check it every other fill up or so.
5) Leak on drivers side - might be oil cooler (GT has two); or oil sending unit (located by the spark plugs; you'll be there anyway).

Once you do all that - go drive the piss out of it; I mean HARD! Open up those ports and cycle the APV and SSV motors - and it is fun.

Kane 12-10-2008 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kyleandmariam (Post 62798)
Yes it does smoke.

Most of the time it smokes upon initial start up, and when you first step on the gas. Once it is at cruising speed, or even idle it does not smoke.

Smoke like burning oil - or excess fuel?

Check the cat - they have a spotty history too. Make sure it is not clogged.

CyberPitz 12-10-2008 10:06 AM

You may want to check out a dealer for the engine warranty program. I noticed you used KM's instead of MI's, so that means you may be in Canada...? I know they also participate in the engine warranty, not quite sure about other countries. You may go to the dealer and see if you're car falls in the KM's for the warranty. Since you say under 100k MILES, then that gives me great hope that you are OK.

I'd say get it checked out as soon as possible. You do NOT want to have any time set to where you have low oil in the Rotary. It requires the oil to lubricate the seals on the tip of the rotor, along with the housing and such. Bad deal to run anywhere near low oil.

mfisher12 12-12-2008 11:11 AM

I have seen oil coolers leak due to road damage, i would think thats your leak if you say its from the driver side on an AT.... if it is your engine its covered up to 100,000 miles

tell me your VIN number and i can see what has been done under warranty