Rotary Car Club

Rotary Car Club (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/index.php)
-   RX-8 (2004 - Present) (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   RX-8 will not turn over, no power-steering... (https://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_forum/showthread.php?t=10763)

Dobbs 03-21-2010 08:32 PM

RX-8 will not turn over, no power-steering...

My rx8 isn't running the last time it was the power steering went out and when I turned it off it wouldn't turn over again even with a jump it tries but nothing any ideas would be welcome.

ZGN 03-22-2010 01:24 AM

What do you mean it tries? Does the engine turn over or do you just hear a click?

djmtsu 03-22-2010 11:04 AM

Have you tried to de-flood it?

Pull out your spark plugs
Disconnect the Eccentric Position Sensor (down pointing at the crank pulley, driver side)
Crank it for like 10 seconds
Put plugs back in (if they are good)
Try to start it.

You might also have a bad coil, or coils. And depending on the year, you might have the 'bad' starter.

We need more info. Modifications, mileage, year model.

reddozen 03-22-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmtsu (Post 113254)
Have you tried to de-flood it?

Pull out your spark plugs
Disconnect the Eccentric Position Sensor (down pointing at the crank pulley, driver side)
Crank it for like 10 seconds
Put plugs back in (if they are good)
Try to start it.

You might also have a bad coil, or coils. And depending on the year, you might have the 'bad' starter.

We need more info. Modifications, mileage, year model.

There's 2 ways of doing it.

If you're stuck somewhere and cant get out the plugs, pull the fuel pump fuse and crank it several times and this will vent it into the exhaust, then replace the fuse and see if it will start. I've done this a couple times when I'm in a bind, and don't have time to mess with it.

Other wise pull the plugs, brake clean and wire brush them, pull the fuel and fuel pump fuses and blow the gas out the plug holes. Then just replace the plugs and fire it up. If it floods again while trying to crank it i usually resort to the previous method rather than pulling the plugs again.

I've never head of disconnecting the EPS DJ, but that doesn't mean that it may not be worth wild.

djmtsu 03-22-2010 01:51 PM

Unplugging the EPS disables both fuel and spark :D

reddozen 03-22-2010 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djmtsu (Post 113273)
Unplugging the EPS disables both fuel and spark :D

good to know. i'll have to remember that one.

mazda master tech 03-22-2010 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dobbs (Post 113219)
My rx8 isn't running the last time it was the power steering went out and when I turned it off it wouldn't turn over again even with a jump it tries but nothing any ideas would be welcome.

There is 2relays !start relay 2 is the EPS relay. Check for 12v & grd .Also Eps fuse at + terminal,and ground under battery .Good Luck.

Rotary Inspired 03-22-2010 10:52 PM

or you can go the easy way.

Remove the vacume box like thing behind the MAF held on w/ a worm clamp. Spray carb cleaner in there. Replace the vacume box back. Pull fuel pump fuse. Go start the car. It will start. After it starts jump out and place the fuel pump fuse back in. She will stay running.

After i fouled the plugs once and had to remove the stupid front tire to get to them i said screw that. I found an easier way. Works like a charm.

Make sure the car is in nuetral when you start it so you can jump out. or get the assistance of a friend.

My5ABaby 03-22-2010 11:38 PM

Why not roll start it?

Dobbs 03-23-2010 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone I'll start trouble shooting.