Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #16
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Here's some pictures of an AFCO radiator (I took Teds advice and picked this one up)

I still need to pick up some rubber/isolators to make sure I don't start any electrolysis in there... No need for a leaky radiator. I'm still wondering how I'm going to anchor the radiator without having metal on metal contact... I'll have to think about it.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:30 PM   #17
TehMonkay
Rotary Fanatic

TehMonkay is on a distinguished road

Nylon bolts/washers?

Old 08-26-2008, 08:00 PM   #18
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehMonkay View Post
Nylon bolts/washers?
You know i've never seen a nylon bolt...
Old 08-26-2008, 08:55 PM   #19
need RX7
Clean S4 Nutswinger

need RX7 is on a distinguished road

Anyone have experience with the Corksport radiator?

Old 08-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #20
TehMonkay
Rotary Fanatic

http://www.rx7club.com/showthread.ph...lt#post5955964

Nylon bolts

Old 08-27-2008, 09:59 PM   #21
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Vex - did you consider taking it to a tig shop to have the mounting tabs added on? You could do this and still spend less than the Ron Davis. Its what I plan to do with my Afco

You can of course use rubber mounting points as well in this setup... there are a few decent TIG shops in VA.
Old 08-27-2008, 11:49 PM   #22
Shainiac
The Newbie

Shainiac is on a distinguished road

I bought an Afco a few weeks ago and installed it. Lucky for me, I live 30 miles from Afco's headquarters AND I worked for a shop that does a lot of dirt track parts business with Afco. I picked up my 26" Dual Pass for a whopping $173

I started off by relocating the battery, which has already been stated. To get this thing in the car, I bough 2 - 3'x1"x1/8" strips of 6061 alum and bent them into "J"shaped brackets lined with weather stripping to cradle the rad under the endtanks. I then used AllThread(sp) and locknuts to keep the top of the rad from moving around and finished it off with weather stripping to keep from rubbing. I used a Taurus fan which fit fine. The only problem I ran into was the return for the heater core. Since the lower rad outlet was 1 3/4" instead of 1 1/2", I had to build an adapter and introduce a "T" for the heater. I had a welder at work make me one out of scrap chromoly since it was free and going to get thrown away. The last hickup was that there is only a few inches between my lower rad adapter and the water pump housing. I managed to hack the old lower hose up enough to get it on there, but its not pretty. In hindsight, I would have made the adapter curved a bit so It wouldnt put the hose in such a bind. Ive put probably 300 miles on the thing and it seems to be hold up fine.

I didnt get a chance to take pictures before I headed back to school, but to say the least, This thing works well! On the interstate with the stock rad and fan, my streetport NA would run 185-190, read from the thermostat housing with a mechanical autometer gauge. NOW, with the new radiator and semi-restricitive Taurus fan and NO ducting between the rad and bumper (wasnt there when I got the car), The car runs dead on 180 cruising at 80mph. If I kick the fan on low, It pulls closer to 170-175!
Next time I get a change, Ill take some pictures for everyone.
Old 08-28-2008, 12:56 AM   #23
TehMonkay
Rotary Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainiac View Post
I bought an Afco a few weeks ago and installed it. Lucky for me, I live 30 miles from Afco's headquarters AND I worked for a shop that does a lot of dirt track parts business with Afco. I picked up my 26" Dual Pass for a whopping $173

I started off by relocating the battery, which has already been stated. To get this thing in the car, I bough 2 - 3'x1"x1/8" strips of 6061 alum and bent them into "J"shaped brackets lined with weather stripping to cradle the rad under the endtanks. I then used AllThread(sp) and locknuts to keep the top of the rad from moving around and finished it off with weather stripping to keep from rubbing. I used a Taurus fan which fit fine. The only problem I ran into was the return for the heater core. Since the lower rad outlet was 1 3/4" instead of 1 1/2", I had to build an adapter and introduce a "T" for the heater. I had a welder at work make me one out of scrap chromoly since it was free and going to get thrown away. The last hickup was that there is only a few inches between my lower rad adapter and the water pump housing. I managed to hack the old lower hose up enough to get it on there, but its not pretty. In hindsight, I would have made the adapter curved a bit so It wouldnt put the hose in such a bind. Ive put probably 300 miles on the thing and it seems to be hold up fine.

I didnt get a chance to take pictures before I headed back to school, but to say the least, This thing works well! On the interstate with the stock rad and fan, my streetport NA would run 185-190, read from the thermostat housing with a mechanical autometer gauge. NOW, with the new radiator and semi-restricitive Taurus fan and NO ducting between the rad and bumper (wasnt there when I got the car), The car runs dead on 180 cruising at 80mph. If I kick the fan on low, It pulls closer to 170-175!
Next time I get a change, Ill take some pictures for everyone.
where in indiana are you?

Old 08-28-2008, 07:26 AM   #24
Shainiac
The Newbie

Around Evansville, but I go to school in Indy.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:12 AM   #25
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

I'd be interested to see your pics as I thought about the "Cradle" bracket method too..
Old 08-28-2008, 11:27 AM   #26
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainiac View Post
I picked up my 26" Dual Pass for a whopping $173
Why didn't you get this one instead?

http://www.afabcorp.com/AFCO_Dynatec...ode=CS_cooling
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
Old 08-28-2008, 01:19 PM   #27
Shainiac
The Newbie

The 26" that I got fits the stock rad passage just fine. I could have made the 28" fit, but it probably would have required cutting to allow air to the additional 2" of core width. Also, the rails for mounting the cradles would probably be sacrificed. With the 26", the clearance between my stock AFM and cone filter is already tight. I really doubt Im ever going to need that extra 2" anyways seeing how this radiator will keep more powerful cars with an intercooler cool. The folks down at Afco are really helpful. If I felt like paying a bit more, they offered to put on a 1-1/2" lower outlet and a 3/4" barb for the heater. I think they estimated around $60.
Old 08-28-2008, 11:29 PM   #28
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

i'll update closer to the weekend on what the plan is. I have been playing catch up on school work and my car has been at the shop for about the past week getting the bushings put in.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:29 PM   #29
Shainiac
The Newbie

Any updates on your install?
Ive been doing some driving in my car since I got it installed and its working like a charm.
I had a chance to do some night driving at around 75F ambient temps.
With the Taurus fan on low, I was running 173F at around 60mph!
I made the mistake of turning my fan off because I was afraid It was running too low. I forgot to turn it back on when I got into the city and after a couple redlights, I noticed the needle climbing around 220F! I popped my last 2 motors because of a inferior cooling system. Id hate to blow this one because Im a dumbass.
I still havent taken any pictures of the setup. I have to admit that it isnt anything fancy and some might turn their nose and call it "ghetty". To some it might be, but being in college, broke, and pressed for time, I think it turned out alright. I suspect that It will be much more efficient after I get it all ducted with aluminum sheeting and alum tape. If I get some track time before winter, Im going to try to see how my temps are before I make any other changes.
Old 09-07-2008, 07:47 PM   #30
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

^ Why don't you run your fans through a thermal switch? Playing around with a simple on/off switch for the fan is dangerous. We lost a drag motor once that way, lol... expensive mistake!
Closed Thread