Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Old 07-20-2009, 10:40 PM   #1
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

project86 is on a distinguished road
Default Project86- My first (and probably not the last) Rebuild

Ok... so i parked the 7 this weekend. obviously a sad day. i finally got my dd... which i am a little embarrassed to say its a honda. but im using it for what its meant for . im not sure how often i can update being that my baby is an hour away. but updates will be available AND this rebuild is not on the "other" forum haha.... so this is it, im in for the long haul.

'10 Toyota Prius

"Initial Success or Total Failure"
project86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 01:11 PM   #2
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

welcome and thanks for the support....can't wait to see the progress. It's taken me 5+ years to get where I am today....don't stress, it'll get done.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #3
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

pffft - noobies. I'm 12+ years deep at this point

So whats in store for this rebuild. Anything special, swaps perhaps. We demand details or you will be found and hung up by your pubes.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 03:50 PM   #4
FC3S Murray
frustrated!

FC3S Murray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
What did I tell you Kyle? Just wait until you decide to do your REW swap.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:10 PM   #5
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

Quote:

So whats in store for this rebuild. Anything special, swaps perhaps. We demand details or you will be found and hung up by your pubes.
damn, that's forever! I thought I was feigning for boost can't imagine what you felt.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #6
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

I'm with TT, bought my first 1991 Brave Blue FC in 1997.

I tried to sell my FC, but the wife wants me to keep it and rebuild it. I can't get away from these damn things!!
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:08 PM   #7
FC3S Murray
frustrated!

FC3S Murray is on a distinguished road

It has been 6 years for me so far
Old 07-21-2009, 08:19 PM   #8
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Damn show off... I'm only 3 years in come end of august.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 08:43 PM   #9
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

I'm glad you at 12 years, i'm on year 8 total, year 3 on this build...
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

Titanium... honestly... and Murray will back me up on this.. i plan to do and have been planning to do the RE swap. i will start aquiring parts as i have the funds. and after lookin at yours its soundin real good to stick with the sequential set up. im going to start on exterior. plans as of now for that are to strip the whole thing, clean, prep for paint and i want to go pearl white. i want to do something with the interior as well. probably black with custom guage set up and so on. please feel free to shoot me opinions.. im all for constructive criticism.

Sean i fo sho will take my time. i want to do this right. i am plannin on having someone do the engine rebuild for me once i get the RE since i have never done it before. however i plan to tear down the good ole na when i pull it and see how she looks after all these years. ill probably use it as practice for disassembly and reassembly and possibly some porting experience.

Titanium.. i noticed on your thread that you mentioned something about doing rebuilds? did i read that right?
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 07-22-2009, 07:04 AM   #11
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Here is what I would do........... honestly my route looking back was way too expensive. I went with the sequentials becuase it was a pipe-dream from when I was 18 that was fueled by a lot of people saying that it either wasn't worth it, or couldn't be done. Telling me it can't be done is like daring me to do it. About a month after I bought my FC a buddy worked at a dealership. He called me up and said he got an FD in that I had to drive. So I went down there under the guise of trading my FC in for the FD and we went for a test drive. I got out, semi-erect and proclaimed that one day, that engine, or those turbo's would be in my car. That's one of the reasons that I did what I did. The other being a bunch of people telling me that the sequentials can't be controled and the third being that I auto-x. Big power isn't really necessary for auto-x's but linear power is. The sequentials deliver that.

Obstacles to overcome when using the 13B-RE with the REW twins are
1) plumbing the oil and coolant lines
2) plumbing all the vac lines and more importantly memorizing them and knowing which line does what and for what purpose
3) building or using a vac and boost chamber
4) mounting all the solenoids or finding Rob Bailey and buying his (I GOT REALLY lucky)
5) intercooler piping - it all has to be custom and retardedly tight
6) exhuast, all custom
7) harness for the engine, the sequentials etc etc is pretty elaborate and needs to be custom
8) and then the normal shite that you need for any swap.

In my eyes, the only way that you're going to be able to control the sequentials properly if they're on the wrong engine is going to be with an ECU that can control and operate all of the solenoids individually. I say this becuase the RE is pretty different from the REW in a few respects. Intake plenum size, runner length, the EMAPs I'm sure are different as well as the pumping velocity/effiecency of the engine. This all means that the turbo's are going to react differently. The factory has the transition set ~4500. I can tell you mine will be substantially less. This all adds up to the stock ECU won't control them, and I HIGHLY doubt the PFC will either ( the PFC has it's own set of problems running on the RE but not the REW). That leaves, at least when I was doing the research, one option - Motec M820. Which when all is said and done will run you approx $8,000. It is far and away though, the best ECU that I have ever seen and I know alot of proffesionals agree with me as well.

That being said, there are a few people that have run the sequentials with the Haltech, however, in talking with them the transition is much less than desireable. One guy was running it at stock levels and he said flatout it's like a kick in the ass when the 2nd turbo comes online, pretty lame if you ask me. The other was running 15-16psi, dropping to 12ish and then hitting 16 psi again. My goal, and you can only do this with the Motec, is to control all the different solenoids individually and get a transition that is smoother than the factories. This is something that Dave @ KDR is really looking forward to playing around with as am I. The control that the Motec offers cannot be compared to anything. <- That's a period meaning this statement is done with

So, now you're looking at a choice..... $8000 for an ECU that is garunteed to work properly, change the turbo choice, or change the engine. When I was looking at turbo's trying to justify my choice for running the twins, it was pretty easy - 3 years ago. The single turbo's that were available then couldn't match the low end torque of the twins (I'm making 15psi by 2500rpm) but they could easily match the high end power goals that I had - 380. A GT32R will hit that max RWHP but when you lay the dyno graphs over each other, the twins make more HP and more tq down low. At least that was the case a few years ago. In talking with a few people recently, there are turbo's out now that can come a little closer. So, is your goal response, or power? Mine was, and still is response. If you can deal with power coming on a few thousand RPM later, I would really consider a single for the cost and simplicity advantage. If you want response, there really is no subsitute.

So we're back to a choice, change the turbo, change the engine, or spend a shitton of money on an ECU. If you really want to use the twins I would consider using the REW engine. People bitch and moan about the mounting problems associated with it but to me it's pretty easy - weld a crossbeam of steel to the subframe, drill some holes, weld in some round tube stock for the bolts and be done with it. Basically copy the FD's subframe mounting. It seemd simple to me yet people constantly build these ridiculously complicated mounts that run from the back of the engine up to the FC mounting location that loads the hell out of the mounts. Not to mention that by moving the mounting point of the engine back, you'll handeling will benefit from it as well. Not as much as moving the engine back to that point but where that load is on the chassis is moved farther back as well. To me, mounting an REW in an FC is something that is way simpler than people willl have you believe. Shit, you could even take the REW center iron to a machine shop and have it drilled and tapped, use the FC oil pan and complete stock mounting.

I mention doing all of that for a reason. You could, with minimal effort, and there are a few write ups on it, use a PFC in the FC. Banzai has done it before. Call up Ray Crowe or if you're as lucky as I am Mazda Motorsports and order a brand new REW engine harness. A friend of mine WAS selling one, I'm not sure if he still has it but that answer is a txt msg away. So, to me, the easiest and most effeicient and ACCURATE way to use the twind in an FC is to drop an REW into the car, buy a PFC and a new engine harness, splice everything together electrically and get it done for about 25% of the price that I paid. Thinking back, that would've probably been the better way to go but, whatever, things to think about when planning out a project. I spent over a year, literally, just jotting down ideas, things the overcome, reasons, problems, solutions, etc etc etc so that when I started my swap, I really didn't have any unanswered questions.

As for the rebuilds, yes, I will certainly take on a few but it's not going to be my main source of income. At most I'll have one on the table and one waiting just to keep me busy but not overwhelmed. So if you're interested, shoot me a PM and we'll work something out. I even have an engine cradle that I built that I can mount a longblock too, stuff in the back of my truck and drive around...... or ship easily.

Anywho, things to think about when doing swaps - whats the ultimate goal, and what's the price that I'm willing to pay. And I didn't even touch upon tuning! Motecs aren't really heavily supported by the local tuning shops. Motec themselves offeres support that is far and away better than Haltech, microtech, whatevertech

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.

Last edited by TitaniumTT; 07-22-2009 at 07:11 AM..
Old 07-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #12
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

titanium .. all i can say is wow. i appreciate very much your input. single turbo is something i am also very seriously considering. the simplicity would be very nice and i dont mind waiting for the power.. hell man im na right now. with the RB header and 2.5in exhaust all the way back im not gettin my power till about 3500-4000 anyway (but she pulls real good ). As far as power goals go i think i want at least 300whp. i dont want to go so extreme with porting and stuff that i cant drive it on the street. from what i know about porting at this point i dont think i want to go any bigger than street port ( but i would like pretty sized one)
As far as your points with tuning shops... that really isnt an option for me because that sort of work isnt really in demand here. i will probably end up reading alot and tuning myself and hopefully the occassional help from Murray and a couple others i know here.

ill take some pictures this weekend of the car before i start to take anything out of it. hopefully ill be able to post them. i dont know if its the site or my comp but i have been having a few problems gettin it to work.
'10 Toyota Prius

Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 AM   #13
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

If all you're looking for is around 300RWHP then I would actually consider using a BNR hyrbrid. It'll be almost a bolt on affair and then it leaves room to grow with a full aftermarket Garret and a custom manifold. The Turblown and A-Spec mani's are works of art and with a properly sized turbo, the reposnse can be made to be much better than a BNR single. Just something to think about.

If you start with the twins and then go single, depending on the route you take, there will be a TON of unneccessary crap there that you will have paid good money for that will just end up in the trash or trying to sell. So, I would think long and hard about what you want out of this car before deciding on which route you want to take.

If response is the ultimate goal - twins without a doubt but it will cost more in the long run.

If 300RWHP is the goal and you don't mind waiting a little for the power, I would really consider a small sized single, full ball bearing, and really concentrate on doing you're homework on manifold sizing and exhuast porting. Think Pineapple EP2A port. Seems to spool the twins ~ 1krpm earlier with my setup. Which is pretty sick.

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 07-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #14
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

When are you hitting boost (0psi)? I'm curious, I want to compare, I could not see my boost coming on quicker than it already is.
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:06 PM   #15
project86
Can't.Make.Up.My.Mind.

ill start readin up.if i decide to go single the twins on the RE are gonna come off before i get it rebuilt.
'10 Toyota Prius