Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-8 (2004 - Present)

RX-8 (2004 - Present) All things to do with RX-8

Old 05-06-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
PortedRotorTuner
レーサー

PortedRotorTuner is on a distinguished road
Default 2011 Last Year For Rx8 In USA

Looks like we are going with out for a few years. Just a heads up to those
that were looking to buy new.

http://rotarynews.com/node/view/1090

NASA Great Lakes Region
TTD #53 Rx7
PortedRotorTuner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
rx865
DC

rx865 is on a distinguished road

its a shame. It would be nice if we saw a mazdaspeed rx8 in 2011 to say goodbye. Hopefully the 16x will live up to mazda's hype and either an rx9 or a new rx7 based on the FD chasis will be coming by 2013. I mean the "throw back" style is popular with muscle cars (mustang, challenger) why not apply that to imports? I think if they came out with a new generation of rx7 they would sell very well, but rumor is mazda has the 16x finished and is just waiting for the economy to become healthy which isn't a bad strategy tbh.

These are all just rumors and speculation because mazda doesn't like to tell their supporters anything. Read the second comment under the article, the guy who posted that has the perfect idea for maybe a mazdaspeed or a track spec version. The s2k has the CR trim, why not give the rx8 a version similar to that? Maybe call it the RS (rotary spirit)? A nice turbo or supercharger, even better suspension, body kit, and some weight loss would be great.

Last edited by rx865; 05-06-2010 at 07:07 PM..
rx865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:50 AM   #3
djmtsu
My minds tellin' me no...

djmtsu will become famous soon enough

I read about the RX-8's demise a few days ago on Jalopnik. It made me sad. But, the truth is, they did not advertised or promote the RX-8 nearly enough. When the redesign came out, not a single commercial was made. How many friggin commercials do you see a day for the Mazda3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by rx865 View Post
ior a new rx7 based on the FD chassis will be coming by 2013.
Keep dreaming, they would not use the FD chassis. The RX-8/Miata suspension is the best out there for the price, so expect that variation.

Besides, the FD suspension is just a copy of the NA Miata
2015 Toyota 4Runner SR5
djmtsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 06:58 AM   #4
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Yea - I caught wind of this a few weeks ago and was just waiting for the press release to confirm it. Its not all that bad though... 7 years was enough to "test the waters" to see if a market still existed. Also, the process of changing over production plants to the new 16x will take a bit of time compared to the 13b they've been producing for how many decades now?

I'm sure we'll see another rotary car from Mazda. I think we'll probably get one "traditional" model and that'll be the end... the rest of the focus will go into hybrid rotary technologies most likely.

Besides, with Audi now getting back into the rotary game too... who knows what will happen. If Mercedes catches wind of any possible niche market Audi creates, you'll be sure they'll dust off their old Wankel patents as well and start looking it. That'll be three manufacturers pushing rotary technology... that only means we get better stuff!!

Sorry... thats my rant...
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:41 AM   #5
lt1_fd3s
WNC Tour Guide

lt1_fd3s is on a distinguished road

Mazda will not bring back the RX-7 name, they wish to be viewed as a progressive company and want to move forward. They hold the opinion that if they "bring back" a car they discontinued, then it is like saying "we made a mistake in discontinuing this car..." and that isn't what Mazda wants. (sorry, i've long since lost the article I was reading about this...) That is pretty much how they are viewing Ford, Chevy and Chrysler...
Old 05-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
reddozen
Gold Wheels FTW

reddozen is on a distinguished road

I don't care what they call it so long as it's fast and rotary powered.
2003 ZZW30 MR2 (Rotary swap after RX8)
2004 SE3P RX8 (20B Swap in the works)
reddozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #7
rx865
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmtsu View Post
I read about the RX-8's demise a few days ago on Jalopnik. It made me sad. But, the truth is, they did not advertised or promote the RX-8 nearly enough. When the redesign came out, not a single commercial was made. How many friggin commercials do you see a day for the Mazda3??

Keep dreaming, they would not use the FD chassis. The RX-8/Miata suspension is the best out there for the price, so expect that variation.

Besides, the FD suspension is just a copy of the NA Miata
i didn't mean to technically use the FD chasis, but to create a chasis that has hints to the FD. But as someone else already posted, they wont bring back the rx7 name, which i think is a good idea.
Old 05-07-2010, 02:02 PM   #8
staticpat
Rally Fanboy

staticpat is on a distinguished road

I don't understand why they would bring back the RX-7 name. As mentioned they want to be progressive. There is a reason there are RX-2s, RX-3s, RX-8s etc.

Also the RX-8 in the link made me realize how good looking 8s can be. Hopefully some sort of special edition will be even sexier.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:16 PM   #9
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

why on earth wouldn't Mazda redesign a whole new chassis around the 16X? You all are tripping thinking it's going to use a chassis already in production.

Good bye RX8. Hello RX-pwneage.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #10
2gslse
Rotary Fanatic

2gslse is on a distinguished road

Mazda is gonna be hush hush about everything because that is how they are but maybe we will get lucky and get some previews/info.

if anyone at mazda is listening bring us something to DGRR11 !!!

Last edited by 2gslse; 05-07-2010 at 04:23 PM..
2gslse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:50 PM   #11
rx865
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gslse View Post
Mazda is gonna be hush hush about everything because that is how they are but maybe we will get lucky and get some previews/info.

if anyone at mazda is listening bring us something to DGRR11 !!!
this. Isn't mazda actually going to sponsor DGRR next year? That would be a perfect time to shed some light on the 16x and new rotary car
Old 05-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
2gslse
Rotary Fanatic

2gslse is on a distinguished road

Phil said mazda was onboard for next year maybe we should have him start planting the idea with someone at mazda usa that it would be a good way to get enthusiests real opinions and not the media (unless they are there too)
2gslse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:54 PM   #13
12arotary
tumor-syphilis-itis-osis

12arotary is on a distinguished road

don't know if anyone has pointed this out but the rx8 ran for 8 years (once its 2011), longer than any rx7 specific gen and since they really didn't do any super major changes along the way like they did with the rx7 i'd say it did pretty good
88 gxl
12arotary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:55 AM   #14
rx865
DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12arotary View Post
don't know if anyone has pointed this out but the rx8 ran for 8 years (once its 2011), longer than any rx7 specific gen and since they really didn't do any super major changes along the way like they did with the rx7 i'd say it did pretty good
I read that yesterday as well, I had never really compared the length of the life span to the rx7's generations. Most people when they think of the rx series they think of the built FD's and FC's, high powered drift cars, and how turbo's and rotaries go hand in hand. They think that because the rx8 wasn't a torque monster or had twin turbo's that it was a let down to the rx name. If they had driven this car, or was any kind of car enthusiast at all, they would realize that rx8's are a true driver's car. Its meant for twisties at high speeds and has an incredible stock suspension that can only get better with suspension mods and slight tweaking. People also complain about how hard it is to gain hp and tq from it unlike civics, 350z, g35, s2k etc but in a way that is a good thing. Rx8's are one of the best factory tuned cars on the market as well as one of the nicer cars if not the nicest car in its price range.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:49 PM   #15
Chibana
The Michigan "WANKEL"

Chibana is on a distinguished road

Gotta love the RX-8! I just hope that some RX car comes out to replace it. I'm concerned that the new 1.6L isn't going to be able to meet new emissions and fuel efficiency requirements around the world, at least not well enough for Mazda to produce a new RX that would have to be offset by other, cleaner and more efficient Mazdas.
Chibana is offline   Reply With Quote