Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Old 01-29-2010, 10:49 PM   #1
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

93rx7r1 is on a distinguished road
Default My FD Build

This is my 1993 RX7 R1 (yes I know they didn't make R1's in silver, but it was repainted before I bought it). I bought the car October 8, 2005, it had poor compression on the rear rotor and a non-functioning secondary turbo. The first year of my ownership consisted of it sitting in the garage while I saved up money for a rebuild. From October 2006-December 2006 the car was at KD Rotary getting a rebuild along with a street-port. At that time I also installed a ACT street/strip clutch and a brand new engine wiring harness. The next mod was an Apexi Power FC ecu and a dyno tune. That is where I am currently at with my car. Over this winter I have been replacing all the front suspension bushings and will be purchasing coil-overs shortly. Next winter I plan on doing all the rear suspension bushings. I do not have unlimited funds (something that would make owning this car much much easier), so progress comes slowly. Keep checking back for more and please let me know what you guys think.

Current Mod List::

Engine::
* Street Ported 13B Rotary Engine w/ 3mm Apex Seals
* Apexi Power FC ECU
* Garrett GT35R Single Turbo
* Custom Down Pipe
* Tial 44mm External Wastegate with dump tube
* Extreme Turbo Systems Front Mount Intercooler
* Synapse Synchronic Blow-Off Valve
* Trust Cat-back Exhaust (previous owner installed)
* PWR Radiator (previous owner installed)
* AST Deletion Kit
* ACT Street/Strip Clutch
* Rotor Oil Cap
* 850cc Primary Fuel Injectors
* KG Secondary Fuel Rail w/ 1600cc injectors

Interior::
* PFS Boost/Vacuum Gauge (previous owner installed)
* Apexi Turbo Timer (previous owner installed)
* Sparco Steering Wheel (previous owner installed)
* Westco Battery relocated to passenger bin
* Kenwood Head Unit
* Polk Audio Speakers
* Tinted Windows (previous owner installed)
* Sakebomb Garage Aluminum Passenger Door Handle
* RX8 Shift Knob

Exterior::
* JDM Front Fenders
* Shine Auto RE-Amemiya Style "STREET" Diffuser

Wheels/Suspension/Brakes::
* Tein Flex Coilovers
* 17x8/17x9 Work Emotion CR Kai Wheels
* 235/45 & 275/40 Sumitomo HTR-Z III Tires
* Powerslot Brake Discs (front) (previous owner installed)
* EBC "Green Stuff" Brake Pads
* Mazda Speed Front Strut Bar
* Rotary Extreme Rear Strut Bar (previous owner installed)

Now onto the Pics:

October 8, 2005 (just brought it home!!):
October-December 2006 Engine Rebuild:
December 2007 - Install new R1 lip (previous owner lost it):
April 2008 - Change heater-core and relocate battery:
August 2008 Install Apexi PFC & Dyno-Tune:
I am a little disappointed because I should have broken 300 RWHP, but my catalytic converter is beginning to clog and the extra back pressure was pushing the waste-gate open. I am planning on getting a high-flow cat sometime in the future when I get back to doing engine mods.

March 2009 - "New" Front Bumper and JDM Fenders:
Well, I couldn't stand the dent in the front bumper or the ripple at the tops of the wheel arch in the fenders any more. I got a used OEM bumper and a set of JDM fenders and repainted/installed them.

Winter 2009:
Here is how the car currently sits as I do my suspension work this winter

There are plenty of other things that I can't stand like tan seats (the previous owner didn't like the R1 seats and traded them for leather seats........hence the UGLY tan seats) and the car has some dings and dents that you would expect to see on a 19 year old car. All of which I plan on correcting when the money comes!

Well, that is my car for now. More to come in time. Let me know what you guys think!

My FD3S Build Thread
2005 Subaru Impreza WRX (daily)

Last edited by 93rx7r1; 08-21-2015 at 10:41 PM.. Reason: Updates
93rx7r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

speedjunkie is on a distinguished road

Nice! I like the battery relocation, I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Great work on the fenders and bumper too. I need your help replacing my cracked heater core LOL.
speedjunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2010, 08:11 AM   #3
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
Nice! I like the battery relocation, I wouldn't mind doing that myself. Great work on the fenders and bumper too. I need your help replacing my cracked heater core LOL.
Thanks. Yea, replacing the heater core was a major pain in the ass, but I made it fun by doing the battery relocation at the same time. Since the dash was out already I could run the power wire through the car and make it nice. I would help you out if you lived closer.

My FD3S Build Thread
Old 01-31-2010, 01:14 AM   #4
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Nah I was just joking about you helping me haha. I REALLY don't wanna pull the dash, I heard it's a bitch haha. I might just have to go without heat anymore.
Old 01-31-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

Pulling the dash isn't too bad really. Just take your time and do it right. I went with out heat for a while too. I actually had the heater core looped out of the system for about 8 months LOL

My FD3S Build Thread
Old 01-31-2010, 08:09 PM   #6
BigIslandSevens
Rotary Fanatic

BigIslandSevens is on a distinguished road

Nice build. Yes, progress on these cars can take some time unless you have deep pockets. even then unless you do your own work it takes a loong time. And even then....

Speedjunkie:

I think that i have a dash removal write up if your intrested in that.

Dave

Last edited by BigIslandSevens; 01-31-2010 at 08:14 PM..
BigIslandSevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2010, 11:32 PM   #7
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93rx7r1 View Post
Pulling the dash isn't too bad really. Just take your time and do it right. I went with out heat for a while too. I actually had the heater core looped out of the system for about 8 months LOL
Mine has been looped out of the system for almost two years now haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandSevens View Post
Speedjunkie:

I think that i have a dash removal write up if your intrested in that.

Dave
I'm absolutely interested in that, thanks!
Old 02-01-2010, 06:17 AM   #8
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigIslandSevens View Post
Nice build. Yes, progress on these cars can take some time unless you have deep pockets. even then unless you do your own work it takes a loong time. And even then....
Thanks. I don't really mind just taking my time and building the car. It's fun! I do most of my own work. I did have KD Rotary do the porting and engine rebuild to it was done right and because I lacked the tools and knowledge, but I'm learning these rotary engines!

My FD3S Build Thread
Old 11-23-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

It has been a long time since I updated this thread! I actually forgot completely about it! I will pick up from where I left off on the initial post.

February 25, 2010:
I finally got Tein Flex Coils.

February 27, 2010:
I installed the coils. I'm still waiting on a few more parts from Mazda before I can get it back together 100%, but I'm getting there.

March 20, 2010:
I have the suspension back together & the coils adjusted to a ride height that I like. I was not looking for a "slammed" or "stanced" look. I just wanted to close the wheel gap up some. Soon I need to get some better wheels though!

July 24, 2010:
I was so very sick of the tan leather seats that the previous owner put in it. I have NO clue why he traded away the original black R1 seats for tan seats! I dyed the seats black. Much better looking now. I still would like to find some OEM R1 seats in the future though or just have these seats reupholstered. This will do for now though.

January 2011:
Finally got some proper wheels for the car, Work Emotion CR Kai 17x8 fronts / 17x9 rears & Sumitomo HTR Z III tires 235/45 fronts and 275/40 rears. I like the look of these wheels much much better & I have some actual meat on the backs!

June 26, 2011:
I had the Shine Auto RE-Amemiya Style "STREET" Diffuser on my future mods list, but then I had a friend message me that he was selling his & for what he wanted for it; it was a deal that I just could not refuse!

Winter of 2011/Beginning of 2012:
The winter parts pile: Bönez High Flow Cat, ETS FMIS, Synapse BOV, & OEM 850cc fuel injectors to be put in the primary fuel rail. Time to get out to the garage & get installing!

Feburary - March 2012:
Installing my stock pile of parts! I started with the FMIC because that I figured would take me the longest. Lost of work & there was some trimming to get it in there. They say a pic is worth 1000 words so I'll shut up & just put pics of the install.

After the FMIC install was done I put the high flow cat up in place. That was VERY simple!

I decided that modifying the primary fuel rail to fit the 850cc fuel injectors was more than I could handle. I didn't want to mess that up & have a fuel leak & then an engine fire! I decided I would let Speed 1 (formerly KDR Performance) do that & install them for me & also give my other work a look over. Once they had the injectors installed it was time for a dyno tuning session.

My car put down 318.23 RWHP & 279.89 FT-LBS of torque on 14psi. I am not going to push the stock twins any harder than that. At some point I do plan on going to a single turbo, but I am just going to enjoy what I have for now.

So after the tune in March, I've just done my preventative maintenance & enjoyed the car.

My FD3S Build Thread

Last edited by 93rx7r1; 08-21-2015 at 09:58 PM..
Old 08-21-2015, 10:33 PM   #10
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

I'm not very good at updating this thing haha. Well, I have some down time tonight so I figure I'll try to get caught up.

I did a couple auto x races with the car. I had an absolute blast and I look forward to doing some more in the future. If you've never done it before I'd highly recommend it!

Biggest update since my last post was that I did a single turbo conversion. The timing wasn't exactly planned, but I came across a guy parting out his rx7 & I couldn't pass up on the single parts at his asking price.

It's a Garrett GT35R Turbo, Tial 44mm Wastegate w/ dump tube, Greddy Profec EBC, Aeromotive Stealth fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, KG secondary fuel rail with 1600cc injectors, & I kept my primary fuel rail that has the 850cc injectors in it.

I really enjoyed doing the conversion myself (with exception of the tuning after it was done). I got to learn about the car & feel I have a much better grasp of it, but I know there is still a TON I can still learn about it. I really like how the vacuum system got simplified with the single turbo.

I also was able to source out a nice set of base model black cloth seats. This is a HUGE improvement in my opinion as the leather seats that I dyed black were in bad shape.

Currently my wife & I are in the process of selling our house and moving, so now I'm back to driving it & enjoying it. Hopefully more mods and work to get the car in better shape (body work and just general maintenance) will come after we get moved.

Thanks for looking.

My FD3S Build Thread
Old 08-22-2015, 02:33 AM   #11
speedjunkie
RCC Loves Me Not You

Damn lol, it's been a while. Oh well, you still come back to it lol.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:15 AM   #12
chibikougan
⊙⊙

chibikougan will become famous soon enough

Can you even get a 56k anymore? Now I am going to have to search for the slowest connection I can get..

Lookin good and yes if you have never tried an auto cross even if you don't have a car go out and take a ride..
and we are all a part of the same compost pile.
chibikougan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:27 AM   #13
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedjunkie View Post
Damn lol, it's been a while. Oh well, you still come back to it lol.
Haha. I never stopped playing with the car though. Just stopped updating this build thread & then forgot about it all together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibikougan View Post
Can you even get a 56k anymore? Now I am going to have to search for the slowest connection I can get..

Lookin good and yes if you have never tried an auto cross even if you don't have a car go out and take a ride..
I don't know if you can still get 56k anymore. I tried to change the thread title, but couldn't figure that out!

My FD3S Build Thread
Old 08-22-2015, 01:24 PM   #14
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

I do love those wheels on the FD. Very nice and it looks like it is a blast drive.

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:47 PM   #15
93rx7r1
Rotary Fan in Training

Thank you GySgtFrank.

My FD3S Build Thread