Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Old 11-18-2009, 09:31 PM   #1
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Nismo is on a distinguished road
Default Sometimes you just have to know when to start over...

Well here is my build thread for my new car. The Jap ratrod has been sent to scrap and should be fridges in no time at all. The goal for this car is to look stockish (other than a Vmount hood), quiet, and very fast.

To build any worth while car, you have to start with a good body, and I found just that on KIJIJI, he was asking $3500 to start, but after some very good negotiating with a nice example of a FC present; Buggy and I drove this thing away for $1200. It's a stock 1986 GXL, with only 117855KM's on it, it was in a minor fender bender at some point in it's life because the bumper, and driver side fender were replaced, now it just has a minor fitment issue with the bumper, I'm sure that can be fixed relatively easy by Classicauto when it get sent there sometime next year.

Here is what the car currently looks like:

Minor misalignment from fender bender:

No rust in the quarters:

Looks like someone pried the lock:

Sunroof with minor rust like every FC:

I guess it got stuck or pushed a lot, nice palm dents:

Clean interior:

Yay!!!:

Engine Bay:

Now for the drivetrain, the stock N/A drive line is getting swapped out for TII setup, (Buggy might part it out but you would have to ask him because he is the owner of the N/A stuff) it's going to be powered by a 13B RE with a Haltech E6X, and some sort of Garrett turbo. I am hoping for 375-400 wheel horsepower at 12-15psi.

Here pics of the Engine:

I will update this as work progresses.

1986 Base-RB Exhaust, HKS filter, Solid Aluminum motor mounts, S5 TII motor, ACT Clutch, HKS SSQV, Light Weight Flywheel, Haltech E6X, 720cc 2ndaries, Koni Yellows, Tein Springs Koyo Rad, 250 WHP 230 FTLBS Stock turbo, and stock IC at 10psi. RIP!!

The daily bitch- 1995.5 Toyota Tacoma- Trueflow airfilter, and Bilstein HD shocks.

2009 Toyota Corolla "S" TRD Filter... 40MPG

Last edited by Nismo; 11-18-2009 at 09:33 PM..
Nismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:39 PM   #2
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

that is actually quite a clean chassis you found yourself.
Whizbang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 09:44 PM   #3
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Fed View Post
that is actually quite a clean chassis you found yourself.
Yes, yes it is thank you, only has like 75k miles, and no rust which is awesome for a Canadian car.

1986 Base-RB Exhaust, HKS filter, Solid Aluminum motor mounts, S5 TII motor, ACT Clutch, HKS SSQV, Light Weight Flywheel, Haltech E6X, 720cc 2ndaries, Koni Yellows, Tein Springs Koyo Rad, 250 WHP 230 FTLBS Stock turbo, and stock IC at 10psi. RIP!!

The daily bitch- 1995.5 Toyota Tacoma- Trueflow airfilter, and Bilstein HD shocks.

Old 11-18-2009, 09:46 PM   #4
Whizbang
Respecognize!

didnt even notice it was canadian. I had a turbo II that was originally of Canadian descent. I love the dash vent feature the US models never got.
Old 11-18-2009, 09:48 PM   #5
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravity Fed View Post
didnt even notice it was canadian. I had a turbo II that was originally of Canadian descent. I love the dash vent feature the US models never got.
What one is that? The one you flip up and blows fresh air?

Old 11-18-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Whizbang
Respecognize!

yea, toggles on the bottom side of the dash for outside air. pretty much destroys your face on the freeway with wind. was great without a/c
Old 11-19-2009, 01:57 AM   #7
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Nice find Kevin!

Go with a Motec, you won't regret it.

Is that the same RE that you've had for years? What kind of porting are you planning?

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
TitaniumTT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 AM   #8
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
Nice find Kevin!

Go with a Motec, you won't regret it.

Is that the same RE that you've had for years? What kind of porting are you planning?
Hey Brian,

I wish I could go Motec, but I already have the Haltech, maybe someday when I need to upgrade!!

Yup, very same engine I paid $300 for years ago, not planning on porting at all, the turbo has a smallish hot side so I don't need it, and I like the idea of longevity. I never port my engines, I'll just run more boost to make more power.

Old 11-19-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Nice car... yet another RE swapped FC in the works

No porting on stock RE exhaust?? I'd look into that one a bit more Even just opening the ports earlier would be a big advantage for that turbo (going on looks, not sure of the specs)...
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:35 PM   #10
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nismo View Post
Hey Brian,

I wish I could go Motec, but I already have the Haltech, maybe someday when I need to upgrade!!

Yup, very same engine I paid $300 for years ago, not planning on porting at all, the turbo has a smallish hot side so I don't need it, and I like the idea of longevity. I never port my engines, I'll just run more boost to make more power.
Wanna double your money? I'll give you $600 for it. I need an RE for my FD

You need to DL the Motec V3 software........ it's fricken rediculous. I've been using it for almost a year now and I still can't remember where everything is

It's so nice though. I love it. I'll never use anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3RX7 View Post

No porting on stock RE exhaust?? I'd look into that one a bit more Even just opening the ports earlier would be a big advantage for that turbo (going on looks, not sure of the specs)...
At the very least I know Kevin already swapped the sleeves, I would agree though Bill, I like the exhaust porting on mine. All I did was open the port earlier, and smoot out the transitions. That and my little recirc plug. I swear that thing helps alot with AIT's.

Sigh.......... I've got this LS1 conversion that I need to finish so when the weather breaks in April I can hit the FD hard.

What's your anticipated completion date Kevin? You should get your canadian ass in gear and get it finished for DGRRX and caravan down with Joe

2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
Old 11-19-2009, 06:31 PM   #11
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3RX7 View Post

The Sleeves have been swapped, the Turbo isn't as big as it looks really, the comp wheel is only 58mm on the exducer, and the turbine is about 71mm. Comp A/R is 50, and Turbine is 70. So It's going to have instant spool as is. It made 374whp on a TII with a Massive exhaust leak at the manifold to housing gasket.

Quote:
Wanna double your money? I'll give you $600 for it. I need an RE for my FD

You need to DL the Motec V3 software........ it's fricken rediculous. I've been using it for almost a year now and I still can't remember where everything is

It's so nice though. I love it. I'll never use anything else.

At the very least I know Kevin already swapped the sleeves, I would agree though Bill, I like the exhaust porting on mine. All I did was open the port earlier, and smoot out the transitions. That and my little recirc plug. I swear that thing helps alot with AIT's.

Sigh.......... I've got this LS1 conversion that I need to finish so when the weather breaks in April I can hit the FD hard.

What's your anticipated completion date Kevin? You should get your canadian ass in gear and get it finished for DGRRX and caravan down with Joe
Someday I will go with a Motec, but I just bought a house, and I'm likely going to have to propose at some point so that will be one of the things i do later. No I am keeping this RE I bought it after I Built my last engine and wish I swapped it in.

What is this recirc plug?

I want to get it running for Deals gap, and tear it down next winter and let Joe get naughty with it. But we will see... I really need a Vmount hood, my piping should be no longer than 18".

Last edited by Nismo; 11-19-2009 at 06:40 PM..
Old 11-20-2009, 01:35 PM   #12
13bpower
Rotary Fan in Training

13bpower is on a distinguished road

Man.Im diggen what you got cant wite to see the finish product.
13bpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2009, 07:45 PM   #13
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
Double BAH!!! That's blasphemy Kevin! That's saying form over function! Build the intercooler the way you want it to be with the emphasis on ducting from the front. I noticed a minimal decrease in AIT's when I finished my hood. Mainly becuase I was seeing close to ambient temps with the stock hood due to the ducting in the front. The only large benefit was heatsoak while at idle or after shut down. That and the heatsoak dissipated more quickly with the vented hood. My hood doesn't vent any engine bay heat, or any apprechiable amounts of it anyway. So in that regard, the D-Max Sexy style - which I found angular and not sexy at all - shine hood would be a better choice, but at the same time, I take the approach that one piece should do one job and do it best, hence why I made mine the way that I did.
Well, I got this IC for free, and I trying to prove that you can have 400whp cheap, and build a solid car, you can have all three FAST, RELIABLE, and CHEAP. I got my turbo and mani for 700 shipped and it's a SS manifold, likely a blitz from what I am told. I have 2 wastegates coming for 100, and traded my stock turbo and mani for a set of 1680's that will go with the 750's I already have that I also traded for my RE turbos. After paint I'm planing on coming in around $7500-8500.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13bpower View Post
Man.Im diggen what you got cant wite to see the finish product.
Thanks man, I hope to have it running in the new year depending when I get called back to work.

Old 11-19-2009, 07:08 PM   #14
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

two threads for ya my friend -

http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=8391

http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=7980

I know someone opening a shop that can build you one

1988 'Vert - In progress

I'm pure Evil

Old 11-19-2009, 07:15 PM   #15
Nismo
400WHP or bust

Quote:
two threads for ya my friend -

http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=8391

http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ead.php?t=7980

I know someone opening a shop that can build you one
Hmmmm makes sense.

How much we talking for a Hood? Because that's just what I want...