Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes

Tires,Wheels,Suspension,Brakes Info about Tires, Wheels, Suspensions, Brakes, etc.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:45 AM   #1
curiousfool
The Newbie

curiousfool is on a distinguished road
Default Tires

I would like to upgrade the tires on my 2009 RX8 R3. I am currently checking out Toyo Tires' Proxes 4 Plus. Any other suggestions?

curiousfool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 07:18 PM   #2
GySgtFrank
Professional Stick Poker

GySgtFrank will become famous soon enough

Depends on what you want out of your tires. All out performance?, good wear?, cheap price?

1975 MG Midget (building)
http://rotarycarclub.com/rotary_foru...ad.php?t=18681

1988 N/A SE model FC, dead stock and less than 85k on the clock. This one actually runs, so I don't fuck with it.
GySgtFrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 07:24 PM   #3
IamFODI
The Newbie

IamFODI is on a distinguished road

I know I'm late to this party, but the board is poking me to post. Hope y'all don't mind the thread bump -- maybe this'll be useful to someone in the future.

One of the benefits/problems with the R3 is that the OE tire is bespoke. It's 2 generations old at this point, but was top-of-the-line when it was current; plus, there's a specific version for the R3 with its own part number, which means it was likely tweaked for the R3 specifically. That's a benefit for obvious reasons. It's a problem because almost any other tire you can find will be a DOWNgrade from stock overall. And if it's not from a tier-1 manufacturer (Bridgestone, Michelin, Continental, Goodyear, Dunlop), it'll most likely be a big downgrade.

For the stock wheel, the only other tire you can really argue for is the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S. Better dry grip, WAY better wet grip, smoother ride, less noise, longer life, and less loss of performance as it wears. It's even 5 lbs lighter per tire, which is a lot. And even that tire has a downside: it sacrifices just a little bit of that razor-sharp feeling in the stock car's handling. Well worth it IMO, just because the advantages are huge. But the caveat is worth having.

A few other tires have the dry grip advantage but everything else about them is worse. Everything else makes the same sacrifice to handling sharpness (often much worse) with fewer or no upsides.

Nothing else is really worth considering unless you're willing to accept major compromises to how the car handles and feels. If you have an R3, you probably aren't. One would hope, anyway.

HTH someone.

Michelin PSS/PS4S | Porterfield R4-S | Some cell phone mount, I dunno | Cosmetic blemishes

Last edited by IamFODI; 04-21-2018 at 10:43 AM..
IamFODI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:26 PM   #4
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

The Dunlap Star II are good as well foran RX8. A buddy of mine runs them and loves em.

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 06:22 AM   #5
IamFODI
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_g_farrell View Post
The Dunlap Star II are good as well foran RX8. A buddy of mine runs them and loves em.
Not available in the R3's size, unfortunately. But definitely worth considering for an 18" wheel if dry handling is your main focus.

Michelin PSS/PS4S | Porterfield R4-S | Some cell phone mount, I dunno | Cosmetic blemishes
Old 05-02-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
IamFODI
The Newbie

FWIW, there's now this as well: Bridgestone Potenza S007A

It likely won't match the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for wet grip or NVH, but it stands a good chance of beating it for dry grip and feel. It's 2 lbs heavier than the Michelin, but still 3 lbs lighter than the OE tire. Could be a great call for an R3 that doesn't see much rain.

Old 08-31-2018, 06:30 AM   #7
Thunder19
The Newbie

Thunder19 is on a distinguished road

I recently bought a set of Mickey Thompson Tires' Sportsman S/T for my 1995 Mazda RX-7 Turbo. I highly recommend it.
Thunder19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 10:59 AM   #8
IamFODI
The Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamFODI View Post
FWIW, there's now this as well: Bridgestone Potenza S007A

It likely won't match the Michelin Pilot Sport 4S for wet grip or NVH, but it stands a good chance of beating it for dry grip and feel. It's 2 lbs heavier than the Michelin, but still 3 lbs lighter than the OE tire. Could be a great call for an R3 that doesn't see much rain.
FWIW, Tire Rack review is up: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...y.jsp?ttid=239

Wet performance below that of the S-04 Pole Position is a bummer. That'd put it below the Michelin PSS and way below the PS4S in that respect.

Nice to hear it has the response of a higher-performance tire than the S-04. Kind of sucks to hear it lacks the extra feel and feedback though.

So, overall, I guess it's less promising as a direct upgrade for the OE R3 tire than I had thought. Still, it looks like a good tire if you absolutely have to have one for both street and light track use, or if you never drive in the rain.