Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > Show your rotary car build up.

Show your rotary car build up. Show off your Rotary Car build!

Old 07-05-2008, 07:49 PM   #1
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough
Default Cerberus Project (56K DNE)

Started over a year ago when I wrecked my first 7. The preliminaries were to swap the 6-port into the roller chasis I picked up and do the interrior. Since this has been covered already over Here. So I won't bore you with the repitious behavior. Instead I'll declare what's to come and give you a little idea of what I'm working towards.

I left off on the restoration with the installation of the Tein Flex coilovers and had just picked up my Racing Beat Front and Rear Sway bars. The installation of the energy suspension bushings, new ball joints, and tie-rods has been postponed as I ran out of money and my credit card was getting rather heavy. Since school's been out I've been interning and saving money while paying off that debt. I'm now currently pricing everything for the next step of this project and I've included the file to give you a nice little sneak peak.

Since that time however I have done a few different things to the car. Not a whole lot, but enough to warrant mention. I have a partially installed front RB sway bar (One bolt will not hold tension, but is not moving anywhere... Will have a shop fix the hole). Rear sway bar is not installed yet because of a sheard bolt in one of the hubs. Will be having that fixed at the same time as the front sway bar. I'll also get a quote for the energy suspension bushings to be installed and if it's reasonable will have them install it (the reason for such the delay in the installation is the fact that the Delrin bushings I ordered never made it to me quick enough so I had to scrap the previous appointment. Don't worry though. They're for the rear subframe, shouldn't be too harsh).

Well, anyways; check out the .pdf (converted from the .xls file I have going) it'll give you a rough understanding of where i'm heading.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Project.pdf (17.5 KB, 69 views)

Last edited by vex; 08-03-2008 at 05:24 PM..
vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2008, 07:35 AM   #2
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Here's something to whet your whistle on:

The turbo I'm considering (will most likely buy) for this project:
60-1 F1-62 .77AFR what does everyone think? Too small?

Last edited by vex; 07-12-2008 at 08:09 AM..
Old 07-15-2008, 09:16 PM   #3
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

My buddy lives in Culpeper still and has that turbo on his miata. We built it about 3 years ago and have been playing around with tuning since then. Its a pretty decent turbo. Should play out well for the 13B - but is a bit much on the 1.8L's stock head.
WE3RX7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 06:49 AM   #4
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3RX7 View Post
My buddy lives in Culpeper still and has that turbo on his miata. We built it about 3 years ago and have been playing around with tuning since then. Its a pretty decent turbo. Should play out well for the 13B - but is a bit much on the 1.8L's stock head.
Oh hey, you found it. lol. I was about to link it to the NE section for you.

Yeah, the guy that's selling it to me works for Turbonetics and has told me it's good for about 4-600. We'll see though. I think I'll only be able to pull in low 300's with the Rtek. Depending on how all my other supporting modifications go I may be able to secure myself a M600--that's my intent at least. I'm also picking up a waste gate and a blow-off/by-pass valve on top of the turbo. I'll probably be selling the original S4 turbo I have. But that won't happen until down the road a little bit.

I still need to get the suspension dialed in and my bushings installed though... maybe I'll do that when I head back to school. We'll see though.
Old 07-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #5
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

We'll all have to hang out at some point. Its not hard to get the three rotor heads in culpeper to get together, lol. My buddy just finished building his house out in Highpoint. I know one of his neighbors has an FD w/ '99 spec equipment, so maybe we could get him to come out too.

Growing in Culpeper was fun being a rotor head, nobody understood my car
Old 08-03-2008, 02:30 PM   #6
Phoenix7
FUCK the fucking fuckers

Phoenix7 will become famous soon enough

So is this S4? S5? i ASK BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE DOES THE oiL SYSTEM REMOVAL WHEN THEY CLEAN UP THE EMISSIONS. Caps locks owned me.

Which makes perfect sense. They are sacrificing safety either way. lol

Phoenix7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix7 View Post
So is this S4? S5? i ASK BECAUSE I'M TRYING TO SEE IF ANYONE DOES THE oiL SYSTEM REMOVAL WHEN THEY CLEAN UP THE EMISSIONS. Caps locks owned me.
It's an S4. So far my plans include keeping the OMP mechancial but running a full stroke TPS (either a rotary style, or an s5 modified). I'm still toying around with what I'd like to do with the oil besides modifications of the oiling system and pan to support a turbo, as for the OMP... I've toyed with running two stroke oil in an external resivior but I'm just not keen to another fluid that would need to be filled up.

But here's the most recent modification to cleaning up the engine bay:

Bought a new battery and threw it in the passenger bin. My main focus is cleaning up the engine bay and running a wire tuck a little later.

Unfortunatly as you see the engine bay is in pretty rough shape. My plan of action is to pull the engine and tranny, modify what I need to on the engine for the turbo, strip the engine bay. Strip the paint, POR-15 it. Remove the fenders and begin mounting the wires and grommets in the upper fender. This will clean up alot of the engine. I'm not sure I'll tuck the coils since I'm probably going to go indepent ignition eventually.

Last edited by vex; 08-03-2008 at 05:29 PM..
Old 08-03-2008, 05:06 PM   #8
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

oh yeah... I forgot to post these pictures up as well....

Gotta make room in the engine bay.

Last edited by vex; 08-03-2008 at 05:28 PM..
Old 08-26-2008, 04:22 PM   #9
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Christmas came in August this year:

Look at the quality packaging material:

Ohhhh! Reading material!

All the teasing's over
Old 08-30-2008, 02:44 PM   #10
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Well, this weekend's been pretty nice.

Yesterday I got my evolution wastegate (35mm), and I went ahead and swapped in the 5lbs spring (instead of the stock 9lbs) I think it's the safest one to go with for right now.

I snapped a couple pictures during the process and will load those up soonish.

I also got my car back from my mechanic. Full bushing swap to poly plus the rear subframe now is mounted with Derlin. It rides so nicely now, and I'll take some pictures of the bushings before I load up the pictures for the wastegate. I still need to go get it aligned and re-torque everything in about a week or so. So that should be nice and fun.
Old 08-31-2008, 09:44 PM   #11
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

Suspenseful man!

You'll be glad (or not) to know - I sold my FB and I am now 99% dedicated back to my FC project, so you'll have to come by sometime to check it out. The other 1% is to the 8... it needs a few things

I'll be interested to see what route you take w/ your radiator though as I'm using the same one...
Old 09-01-2008, 02:39 PM   #12
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3RX7 View Post
Suspenseful man!

You'll be glad (or not) to know - I sold my FB and I am now 99% dedicated back to my FC project, so you'll have to come by sometime to check it out. The other 1% is to the 8... it needs a few things

I'll be interested to see what route you take w/ your radiator though as I'm using the same one...
Actually I am excited to hear that. I want pictures so snap away while you do it.

I just sent out a quote to get some flanges made from MPI. We'll see what happens.

I may have a local car guy tig weld in some slotted brackets for me. That may prove to be the easier of the two routes (compared to making a rack to hang it on). Beyond that I'm just waiting right now until my court date for the speeding ticket. I already just sent in the money for the faulty exhaust. It would cost me more to drive up to Culpeper to get it taken care of than it would be to just pay it out of pocket.

After that I'm planning on tearing into the car and stripping the engine down to nothing but the Keg. I'll then begin work on the engine bay (stripping the paint, sanding it down, drilling, running wires, running pipes, etc) and installing the radiator. This is going to be a fun time. I've been waiting about a year or so to get to this stage. I'll also probably be shipping off my spare ECU to get it turned into an RTek. Before that though I will have to make sure it works. I don't really trust it... mostly because I haven't tested it yet.

But back to those flanges I sent off to be quoted; I found some online and the total would come to a little over 40 (60 I think) bucks for everything I want. I'm going to see if MPI can beat that price. Then I'll have flanges of my own make! w00t!

edit: ECU has been shipped out!

Last edited by vex; 09-02-2008 at 08:31 AM..
Old 09-02-2008, 03:37 PM   #13
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

You can test the ECU out of the car, but its probably too late now that its shipped. I'd also assume that RTek will test the ECU before shipping it back to you since they'll want to make sure their modifications take.

Are you tearing the car down in blacksburg or up in Culpeper? I should have some updated pics of my FC (I have a build up thread here already) as I'm beginning the interior swap over to black.
Old 09-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #14
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

I tested the ECU I was worried about. It works fine. in fact it's running the car now. I shipped out the regular one (N326) to be modded.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:20 PM   #15
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Just got the RTek back today. I'm still having connection problems with the TX but I'm working on it. We'll see what happens though.