Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:18 PM   #46
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

vex will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WE3RX7 View Post
Distilled water has a low pH. Water by nature tries to seek a balanced pH and when distilled water is put next to aluminum, it'll leach the minerals it wants from the alloy. This causes build up and soot in the radiator tubes.

If you use an "aluminum safe" antifreeze, you'll be ok as it has silicates in it on purpose to act as sacrificial mineral deposits.
That makes sense, however the additive of the royal purple is alkiline(sp) based, I can't remember if alkilines will increase or decrease the PH balance. Anyone remember?

Old 09-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #47
Whizbang
Respecognize!

Whizbang will become famous soon enough

alkaline is anything over 7 on the PH scale.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:31 PM   #48
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

if that's the case, wouldn't distilled water be beneficial in equalizing the chemical reaction potential of the coolant? Assuming Distilled water is close to 6.5 or at the most 6 on the pH scale, and adding coolant in a 50/50 mix will jump it up to 7.3-8pH wouldn't adding the additive only marginally increase the pH to something more alkiline?

This is rather interesting to me.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:52 PM   #49
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

I would have to agree that the affects of using that additive in conjuction with distilled water and an AL safe coolant will be marginal. If anything, it'll tip closer to the alkaline level of the pH scale which is ultimately better than being acidic.

You maybe better with using a 60/40 though - it'll balance better IMHO. 50/50 would be good when not using that additive. How many ounces is that bottle? I know the stock coolant system is a little over two gallons I believe, we can probably figure this out, lol...
Old 09-11-2008, 01:54 PM   #50
Whizbang
Respecognize!

the other thing is that "close" neutral and neutral are still pretty different as far as science is concerned. Also things dont have over night either. Unless you have a Ph of like 11 or 12. But say its 8 or 6. Well your going to find yourself chemically reacting til things settle out.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:09 PM   #51
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
I would have to agree that the affects of using that additive in conjuction with distilled water and an AL safe coolant will be marginal. If anything, it'll tip closer to the alkaline level of the pH scale which is ultimately better than being acidic.

You maybe better with using a 60/40 though - it'll balance better IMHO. 50/50 would be good when not using that additive. How many ounces is that bottle? I know the stock coolant system is a little over two gallons I believe, we can probably figure this out, lol...
I think it's 16oz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Impedance View Post
the other thing is that "close" neutral and neutral are still pretty different as far as science is concerned. Also things dont have over night either. Unless you have a Ph of like 11 or 12. But say its 8 or 6. Well your going to find yourself chemically reacting til things settle out.
8.3 is usually what happens when you mix distilled water and gylcol type anti-freeze together. I'll probably email RP with questions about it. (This is all going into the article about cooling. I just want to get my facts and stuff straight before typing it up)
Old 09-11-2008, 02:11 PM   #52
Whizbang
Respecognize!

well that makes sense then if its about 8.3
Old 09-11-2008, 02:25 PM   #53
WE3RX7
RCC Addict

WE3RX7 is on a distinguished road

Agreed. You should take measurements initially and then each day for about a week after driving. I'd be curious to see what the rate of reaction is and what it finally settles out at w/ that additive.

Somebody should do a control experiement as well w/out the additive. I don't have an engine or I would take care of this, lol...
Old 09-11-2008, 02:33 PM   #54
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Quote:
Agreed. You should take measurements initially and then each day for about a week after driving. I'd be curious to see what the rate of reaction is and what it finally settles out at w/ that additive.

Somebody should do a control experiement as well w/out the additive. I don't have an engine or I would take care of this, lol...
I'd love to, but I don't have anything that can measure pH balance. I wonder how much a meter costs from a pool supply store, or even some testing strips....

I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.lesliespool.com/browse/Ho...400020/I/82053

Last edited by vex; 09-11-2008 at 02:36 PM..
Old 09-11-2008, 02:34 PM   #55
Whizbang
Respecognize!

strip testing kits are pretty inexpensive.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:06 PM   #56
firzen
Rotary Fanatic

firzen is on a distinguished road

Tongue works too- if it's acidic, it's sour. If it's basic, it's bitter.

Oh wait, this stuff is poisonous right? Forgot...
Old 09-11-2008, 07:01 PM   #57
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shainiac View Post
Yeah Ted, I wasnt really loosing any sleep over 220, but Id like to prevent it. What stock sensor are you using for fan activation? There is a switch on the S4 thermostat neck on car with certain options, but my car didnt have one so thats where I mounted my temp gauge. Is this the one you are referring to? I thought about finding a 3/8" NPT sender from a domestic car that grounds out around 195 and just weld a bung below the upper rad inlet.
I was using the stock electric fan circuit.
I threw away the POS stock electric fan, and I wired in a relay through the existing circuit.
I had my SPI water temp gauge monitoring everything.
The warning light was looking for a specific resistance through the circuit, and the relay wasn't enough - it would light the warning light anytime the fan would trigger - was rather convenient at the time.

Now I use a Spal PWM-FAN controller using the SPI water temp sensor.

Side note on the whole corrosion thing...
Distilled water is not as bad as RO water; I think the "leeching effects" are rather mild versus RO water.
Oxidized aluminum makes a very effective barrier against corrosion - this is the whole idea behind aluminum anodizing.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
Old 11-06-2009, 11:37 AM   #58
vex
RCC Loves Me Not You

Time for a resurrection

Ted, how did you fit the radiator in your 7? No matter how I cock it I can't seem to get it to lay correctly without having it stick out the bottom below the oil cooler, or interfere with the front sway bar.

I'm honestly thinking about switching to a smaller height radiator to allow me to do a completely vertical mounting of the radiator.
Old 11-06-2009, 12:40 PM   #59
TitaniumTT
Test Whore - Admin

TitaniumTT will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vex View Post
Okay people, I'm going to need your help from here on out. I would like real world numbers from people. Those running stock radiators I would like you to voice your opinions concerning them. Vitally important details I would really like to see would be Ambient Air temperatures, Water temperatures at idle (nominal), water temperatures at cruise and if possible under load as well.

For those who have already swapped over to an aluminum radiator I would like similiar information.
Ambient air temperatures.
Anything from 20*-95*F

Quote:
Coolant Temperatures at Idle.
Never exceed 187*F

Quote:
Coolant Temperatures under load and/or cruise.
168-173* on the highway, will hit 180-185* after 4 hours of constant 4th gear dyno pulls

Quote:
Also I would like to know how much body modification you had to do to mount the radiators, and if how much time you spent doing so.

It's a Griffen universal, singlepass, Ford/Chevy opposite side in/out which worked out better for my setup. Cost was about $180 IIRC.

I've found that ducting is the key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firzen View Post
What about the Redline Water Wetter- does that have the same or similar label?

Odd they would mention that, although I do know the Al-13 rads tend to suffer from galvanic corrosion, not diluting your antifreeze or coolant with the stuff seems weird...
Don't use water wetter. It attacks ans liquifies the coolant seals

Quote:
Time for a resurrection

Ted, how did you fit the radiator in your 7? No matter how I cock it I can't seem to get it to lay correctly without having it stick out the bottom below the oil cooler, or interfere with the front sway bar.

I'm honestly thinking about switching to a smaller height radiator to allow me to do a completely vertical mounting of the radiator.
Bring her to me! MWAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHA! Or wait a few weeks and we'll be passing through your neighborhood.

DEALS GAP!! WOOHOOOO!!!!!

2015 Audi S4 - Samantha - Zero Brap S4
2004 RX8 - Jocelyn - 196rwhp, 19mpg fuel to noise converter
2000 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Wifey mobile - Now with 2.5" OME lift and 30" BFG AT KO's! So it begins
1998 Jeep Cherokee - 5 spd, 4" lift, 33" BFG's - Rotary Tow Vehicle
1988 'Vert - In progress
1988 FC Coupe - Gretchen -The attention whore BEAST!

I'm a sick individual, what's wrong with you?
I'm pure Evil
I'm still insane, in the best possible way.
I think Brian's idea of romance is using lube.
Your rage caused the meteor strike in Russia. The Antichrist would be proud of his minion.
You win with your thread. Most everything
It's a truck with a steel gate on the back. Just a statement of fact

Motec M820, AIM dash, ported 13B-RE Cosmo, 6-spd trans, 4.3 Torsen, custom twin wg fully divided mani, Custom 4" split into 2x 3" exhaust, Custom HMIC, Custom custom custom custom I like to welder stuff....
No Bolt-ons allowed. Dyno'ed @ Speed1 Tuned by me - 405rwhp on WG.... WM50 cuming soon.
-Angry Motherf*cker Mode ENGAGED-
Old 11-06-2009, 10:40 PM   #60
moremazda
shookmotorsports.com

moremazda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Time for a resurrection

I don't know what size you have but here are some pictures of a 27.5x19 fitting in the stock location ---> http://shookmotorsports.com/FCProducts
Closed Thread