Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Tech Discussion > RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92)

RX-7 2nd Gen Specific (1986-92) RX-7 1986-92 Discussion including performance modifications and technical support sections.

Old 11-15-2018, 01:28 AM   #1
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough
Default Kinugawa FC3S turbo oil feed line

I was kinda forced to get this, because I just could not get the stock turbo oil feed flange to seal on top of the turbo.
Oil leaking from here drips down the center housing and gets on the turbo exhaust manifold, which then burns and smokes...
Even after multiple attempts with the stock Mazda gasket, I looked for an alternative...

The Kinugawa unit looked good.
But...
* The line is 6" too long - I ended up looping the end that goes into the banjo bolt.
* THIS IS THE BIG ONE: the new banjo bolt does not fit on my 1987 model - the threads were the wrong pitch!
They are advertised for "86-91" models, but be warned!
Luckily, I could reuse the old, original banjo bolt
Make sure you use the new crush washers, which are wider than stock - I.D. is same as stock but O.D. is wider.
Using the stock skinnier crush washers induced a very large oil slick under the car.
The kit comes with a (cheapie) paper gasket for use between turbo and flange, and it works okay.

-Ted

http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup

Last edited by RETed; 11-15-2018 at 01:34 AM..
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 05:15 AM   #2
FC Zach
RCC Loves Me Not You

FC Zach is on a distinguished road

For a just-in-case backup, I bought the turbo coolant inlet/outlet flange and hose assembly for my Celica off ebay from that brand. The lines were WAY too long in my kit too.
1979 Yamaha G1, KM24 powered
1975 Dolmar KMS4
FC Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETed View Post
I was kinda forced to get this, because I just could not get the stock turbo oil feed flange to seal on top of the turbo.
Oil leaking from here drips down the center housing and gets on the turbo exhaust manifold, which then burns and smokes...
Even after multiple attempts with the stock Mazda gasket, I looked for an alternative...

Interesting, I've never had a problem getting that stock flange joint to seal up properly, never had a leak there. Perhaps your flange or turbo mating surface was warped or misaligned somehow?

I just use the factory paper/fiber gasket, with a very thin & even skin coat of blue Hylomar on both sides of the gasket & torque bolts to FSM spec. My current BNR turbo setup needed an oil pressure restrictor to prevent smoking, so I fabricated an 0.096" thick AL restrictor plate and sandwiched it between the oil feed pipe flange & turbo with gaskets on all mating surfaces. Needed slightly longer bolts, but it still doesn't leak, which shocked the hell out of me.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2018, 05:12 AM   #4
RETed
RCC Addict

RETed will become famous soon enough

I think all the removal and reinstallations warped the stock flange for me.
I tried to sand down the flange and found that only the outside edge of the flange showed scuff marks - the center hole + good 2mm around it was untouched by the sandpaper.

A unique advantage of this system is that you can easily remove the flex hose with a 14mm wrench and move it out of the way.
With the stock hard pipe, you kinda have to bend it slightly to get the turbo out.

-Ted
http://fc3spro.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitaniumTT View Post
because you're only as good as your backup
RETed is offline   Reply With Quote