Go Back   Rotary Car Club > Classifieds > RX-8 Classified > RX-8 Cars For Sale

RX-8 Cars For Sale Buy or Sell your Car only!! No Parts!

Old 08-18-2018, 01:35 PM   #1
loki5
The Newbie

loki5 is on a distinguished road
Default SOLD - 2004 Mazda RX-8, $1200, Columbus OH 43214, bad engine, badder comic book

SOLD! (sorry, can't figure out how to delete this thread)

So my beloved car of 13 years has a bad engine and I'm trying to get a few bucks for it. 6-speed Manual, Touring Package, Rotary Accent Package, Mazda certified rebuilt engine, 70K miles. Anyway, I wrote some funny stuff about it on Craigslist to get some eyeballs on it. (Warning: contains cuss words and questionable humor. Also, a pic of a truly awful comic book that I paid cash money for. Don't judge me.)

Price is negotiable.

2004 Mazda RX-8, 70K miles, bad engine, badder comic book

Last edited by loki5; 08-28-2018 at 08:21 PM..
loki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 12:58 PM   #2
t_g_farrell
Waffles - hmmm good

t_g_farrell is on a distinguished road

So is it really low on compression or was the test done poorly? How well does it run or not? How do you know its not just a fuel issue?

Project Fat Nikki Budget 12A rebuild Video setup < $30.00
t_g_farrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 07:37 PM   #3
loki5
The Newbie

loki5 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by t_g_farrell View Post
So is it really low on compression or was the test done poorly? How well does it run or not? How do you know its not just a fuel issue?
I don't know how to answer your first question about "done poorly", since I'm neither a mechanic nor do I work in the service department that performed the test. I can tell you it was done at a Mazda dealership (Byers Mazda, Columbus, OH). But to answer your other questions, here's the full scoop:

Earlier in the year I started experiencing issues with starting the engine when it was already warm. It cold started just fine. But once I had been driving for a while and it had warmed up, if I made a quick stop, like getting gas, it didn't always restart as easily (sometimes fine, sometimes I would have to try 2-3 times). However, if it had time to cool a bit, like say going to a store and it sat for like 20-30 minutes, it restarted just fine.

So I suspected a compression issue at that point and had a test done at a Mazda dealership and they confirmed it, but it wasn't too bad (don't have the results handy). This was maybe around March. Then in late July I was driving home one day and even with my foot on the gas the power and RPMs kept dropping intermittently. It stalled once and I managed to restart it and make it home. That's when I had it towed to Byers Mazda and they told me about the fuel pump issue and also did the second compression test, the results of which I posted in the picture.

Currently, the engine will turn over, but it immediately dies after a few seconds.
loki5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 06:08 AM   #4
Pete_89T2
Lifetime Rotorhead

Pete_89T2 is on a distinguished road

Are they sure it's not an ignition issue? Have they even tested for spark while cranking? Coils on RX8's tend to die early, and you have enough miles on the clock where it could be a factor. Weak/no spark + low compression and it won't start no matter what.
Pete_89T2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 11:20 AM   #5
Richardsob

. - , , 15 . ! , , , , HD . - . , , , , . !